Monday, March 7, 2005

Suddenly Success

Oh, the horrors of trying to set up a wireless router.  The horror of DNS numbers and IP addresses and having to call India for support.  But with all of that behind me, I am able to connect to the internet as well as AOL and I'm happy.  There are still bugs in the system, but things are at least working and with a little tinkering, I'm sure I'll be able to get the home network ship-shape. 

Viewsonic.  Top of the line monitors.  However, there's something in my chemistry that kills them.  About a month ago my monitor at work gave a loud snap, something flashed at the vent on top, and then smoke started to pour out.  It had died extravagantly.  Then, this past Friday, my home unit gave up the ghost.  Blip!  And dead.  So I have a new Samsung SyncMaster 712n flat screen that was on sale at CompUSA and boy am I happy.  The Samsungs are the best.  The secret of great flat screen performance is to let them do what they were meant to do: take your resolution to the highest ratio in your Screen Settings.  Then the text will be crisp and clean and (small) but you get used to it.  It's so much better than the blurriness seen at higher resolutions even though the actual text is larger. 

If you want a larger font, you can always go into the advanced settings and click on 120 DPI--which I have done.  It makes text very readable.

No comments: